Monday, December 27, 2010

scene 4 the next morning

EXT RANCH DAYTIME — 
               
Miki's car pulls up. There are emergency and military vehicles everywhere. CSI personnel and soldiers are digging through the wreckage and taking pictures. TV news vans are around and reporters are trying to get closer shots of the scene as the police hold them back. She can see the rubble of the Weaver Ranch house in the background. She exits the car and looks around till she spots Stephen Martin talking with a soldier.
               
MIKI (WAVING)
Stephen ! Stephen!
               
She starts to run towards him and she is grabbed by the shoulder by a soldier.
               
SOLDIER
Excuse me miss. Where do you think your going?
               
MIKI
I Uhh..
               
A man in his mid thirties has walked up to them and interjects
               
MAN
Its OK. She's here with me.
               
SOLDIER
Sorry Dr. Hammond Just doing my job.
               
MAN
Thank you.
               
Miki looks at the man in startled amazement.
               
MIKI
Jack! Jack Hammond?
               
JACK (SMILING)
How ya been gorgeous? Haven't seen you in years.
               
He reaches over and gives Miki a big hug
               
MIKI
Wow. What are you doing here? And my god what happened? It looks like a tornado came through here.
               
JACK
The question is what are you doing here?
               
MIKI
My friend Stephen Martin called me early this morning and asked me to come out here as soon as ...
               
JACK
Martin? Stevie ?
               
Stephen is walking towards them.
               
STEPHEN
You two know each other?
               
JACK
Um.. yeah we dated for a while back in college.
               
STEPHEN
Really ?? Small world.
               
Stephen looks over at Miki, smiling.
               
MIKI
Senior year. After you had left.
               
JACK
So you two??
               
STEPHEN
No. no, we were just biology lab partners and good friends,
(grins)
 she was too wrapped in her studies for a boyfriend. But enough of the past. Miki, I really need you to see this.
               
Stephen grabs Miki's hand and leads her through the wreckage. Jack follows. Miki looks around in bewilderment, observing the chaos around her.
               
MIKI
Stephen? What happened? There weren't any storms reported last night. Wheres Faith?
               
STEPHEN
I dont know. We haven't found any trace of her or her family. Theres a storm cellar but the entrance is buried under the roof and debris. They haven't heard anything yet.
               
MIKI
This is so unbelievable. What did this?
               
STEPHEN
I was hoping you could tell me.
               
They stop walking. And Stephen points down. We pan out revealing a very large footprint. Miki scans the view, her eyes widening.
               
MIKI
Oh my god.
               
She kneels down to get a closer look and is ready to climb down into it, when Jack reaches out for her and pulls her back.
               
JACK
Easy. Your going to need some protective gear before you go walking around in that dirt.
               
He reaches to a nearby trunk and pulls out a hazmat suit.
               
JACK (CONT'D)
We need to suit up and then we get a closer look. I'm not going to be responsible for anybody's hair falling out.
               
MIKI
Are you saying that footprint is radioactive?
               
JACK (GRINS)
That's what I'm doing here.
               
Jack removes 2 more suits and the three slide into them. They proceed into the footprint, Jack is using a Geiger counter.
               
JACK
Seems like the radiation level has gone down significantly since a few hours ago. Still toxic though. I wouldn't take that suit off yet.
               
Miki takes a measuring tape and is stretching it from top to bottom of the footprint. She walks over to Stephen and hands him the end.
               
MIKI
Stephen could you please hold this on that edge.
               
She points to the backside of the footprint and she walks towards the center of the three points.
               
MIKI (CONT'D)
Okay. Now to the side over there.
               
She walks in the opposite direction. She looks down at the measurement then starts to calculate in her head.
               
MIKI (CONT'D)
Impossible. This creature would be about sixty to seventy five meters tall.
               
STEPHEN
Jesus. That's bigger than any dinosaur ever recorded. A Brachiosaur was only about twenty meters.
               
Jack joins them at the center of the footprint.
               
JACK
I think the radiation may be the key to this things mutated growth. I have a tissue sample that I was going to bring to my father. Not only was he a paleontologist, but at the end of his career he was doing genetics and DNA studies. I was hoping he might give me some insight.
               
MIKI (EXCITED)
You have a tissue sample? Where? Where did you find it?
               
STEPHEN
Yeah. Where did you find that? I didnt know anything about that.
               
JACK
Due to the radioactive properties we put it in a lead box for safety.
(stares at Miki)
 I know you would love to see it. Come on, lets get out of this hole.
               
the three exit the footprint and remove their suits.They proceed towards one of the many makeshift tents set up around the site. Inside are soldiers and scientists busy analyzing their findings. one soldier steps towards them.
               
SOLDIER
Dr. Hammond.
               
JACK
Major Adams.
(points to Miki and Jack)
 These are my associates. Dr. Miki Ogata and Dr. Steven Martin.
               
MAJOR ADAMS
Pleased to meet you both. Do we have any updates?
               
JACK
What we do know so far is that whatever came through here was very big.
               
MAJOR ADAMS
I think we've already established that. Just how big.
               
MIKI
According to my calculations, this creature must be at least 60 meters tall.
               
MAJOR ADAMS
Good lord. Any idea what it might be?
               
JACK
Were working on it. Have your scout crews found anything? Kind of hard to miss a 60 meter tall reptile, dont you think?
               
MIKI (QUIZICLY)
What makes you so sure its a reptile?
               
Jack goes over to a table and picks up the lead box.
               
JACK
This.
               
Jack opens the box and reaches in with a pair of tongs, pulling out a dark brown leathery looking piece of skin.
               
STEPHEN
Where did you find that?
               
JACK
One of the investigators found it in the debris. They brought it to me and when i checked it out I found it to be radioactive and I knew it was the tissue of a living creature. I haven't had time to get it back to the lab yet, but it definitely appears to be reptilian, wouldn't you agree Miki?
               
MIKI
I would say the texture is definitely of reptilian nature. I have equipment at Stephens clinic we could take it back there for analysis.
               
JACK
Why do you have equipment at the clinic?
               
MIKI
Stephen called me a few weeks ago. Some local boys had brought him an odd specimen and he contacted me to see if I was interested in seeing it. Turns out we've had a few more specimens brought in, and I have determined that they are some sort of mutations, and I did detect traces of radiation.
               
JACK
What kind of specimens?
               
MIKI
First they brought us an odd mutated turtle. I had never seen anything like it before. At first I thought it was a new species until I discovered the traces of radioactivity, I then realized it was a mutation. They've since brought a few other odd specimens, a frog, a few insects , and yesterday they brought me a 30 inch caterpillar.
               
JACK
Wow. I would love to see them. Can we go back to your lab? I'll bring the skin sample.
               
MIKI
I dont see why not. Will you join us Stephen?
               
STEPHEN
I think I'll stay here. I need to know what happened to Faith and her family.
               
MIKI
I understand. Please keep us posted if you find anything.
(she reaches out to hug him)
. I'm so sorry. I pray she is okay.
               
STEPHEN
Thank you Miki.
(reaches his hand out to Jack)
 Good to see you Jack. Take care of her.
               
JACK
She'll be fine.
(looks back at Miki)
 You ready?
               
Miki nods and Jack picks up the box. They start to walk back towards the gathering crowd.
               
MIKI
We'll take my car. Its right over here.
               
MAJOR ADAMS  (OS)
Dr. Hammond!
               
They turn to see Major Adams walking quickly towards them.
               
JACK
Yes Major.
               
MAJOR ADAMS
where are you going?
               
JACK
My colleuge here has a lab that can possibly help me analyze the tissue sample we recovered. Might give us a little more insight into what were up against here. Dr. Martin there will know how to contact us if there are any new developments.
               
MAJOR ADAMS
Very good. I'll have my men continue the recon patrols, you'll be first to know if we see anything.
               
JACK
Very good. Also have your men watch those rads. If the level goes to high have them suit up before going any further.
               
MAJOR ADAMS
Will do Doc. Thanks.
               
The Major turns and heads back to his command tent as Jack and Miki get in her car to leave. As the Major is walking back we hear his radio
               
OVER RADIO
We found someone. Repeat we have a possible survivor.
               
Major adams picks up his radio.
               
MAJOR ADAMS
Roger that.
(he looks over towards Dr. Martin and calls out to him.)
 Dr. Martin! We found someone, come with me.
               
Stephen runs over to the Major who is walking quickly towards the call.
               
STEPHEN
Who is it? Male ? Female?
               
MAJOR ADAMS
Don't know yet. Just got the call.
               
Ahead we see a group of men holding up a section of wall and framing. We catch a glimpse of blonde hair underneath a pile of rubble. Two men are slowly removing her from the debris. Stephen runs up to them.
               
STEPHEN
Faith. Oh my god Faith. Are you alright? can you hear me?
               
MAN 1 (LOOKS UP AT STEPH
She's unconscious right now but shes breathing. Her left leg looks to be crushed but I cant tell if there are any internal injuries.
(shouts out)
 Medic! Lets get a stretcher over here.
               
Two medics come over with a wheeled stretcher. They all carefully pick up Faith and lay her on the stretcher. The ambulance has backed up to them and they proceed to load her in. Stephen climbs in with her.
               
MEDIC
Sir. You cant be in there.
               
STEPHEN
This is my fiance. I'm going to the hospital with you.
               
He kneels beside the stretcher holding Faiths hand.
               
STEPHEN (CONT'D)
It's okay honey. I'm here.
               
Faiths eyes barely squint open. She tries to speak.
               
FAITH
Stephen?
               
STEPHEN
Its me. Honey. Your gonna be alright.
               
Her eyes close again and her head turns a little.
               
STEPHEN (TO MEDIC)
Is she ok?
               
The medic look her over and checks the vital stats.
               
MEDIC
Shes fine. Looks like shes in shock. What did she see out there?
               
STEPHEN
I wish I knew.
               
FADE OUT

1 comment: